Blog archive

Will McInnes

Tom Nixon’s back at NixonMcInnes. And Will McInnes has a new adventure.

Cor. The ability to change and do it fast are a big part of the DNA at NixonMcInnes, but even for us this is quite a bit of exciting stuff to happen at once.

Here are the headlines:

• Tom Nixon is back in the company day-to-day as founder, to guide the company in its purpose and provide his invaluable experienced hands-on support. (This was planned and happening before the next change emerged).
  • In mid-October I’ll be leaving NixonMcInnes as a full-time employee and starting a new adventure with Brandwatch as Global Chief Marketing Officer, based in New York City.
  • Max St John is stepping up as Managing Director to provide the impetus to get things done and take the company forwards.
  • And Jenni Lloyd continues in her strategic senior role as Director of Products & Services, designing creative, expert approaches for our clients.
  • Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, NixonMcInnes is going to accelerate its evolution as a consultancy, with a clear and renewed sense of purpose and mission, of which there will be more news soon…

NM is a company dedicated to testing and learning from new ways of working. It has evolved into a democratic company made up of a group of pretty empowered, smart and different individuals all committed to finding freedom and agency through their work.

As a company, we’ve done many different kinds of work, adapting and changing alongside the internet. From our beginnings as a local web design shop, we evolved into a national social media agency, then became a pioneering consultancy working with international clients to transform their organisations in the face of digital disruption.

It has been a massive journey – with up and downs along the way – but one in which we’ve all learnt tons about new and different ways to work together. Enough to fill a book and create a ground-breaking conference.

One of the benefits of our more participative, democratic way of working is the freedom for the company to grow independently of its founders. Tom left to pursue his desire for travel and adventure two years ago. And now it’s my turn! :)

Tom and Will in the early days

So why change?

It is time for me to do something new – to stretch my wings, to take on a new challenge, and give others the chance to do the same.

NM has changed lots over the past 18 months, and me moving feels like the last part of a sequence, as the company moves increasingly into exciting new kinds of work with new kinds of clients. Looking ahead, the global scope of my new role, living and working in NYC, is hugely appealing (for a boy who still lives in his hometown), as is the opportunity to work in a product-focused environment, having spent 11 years tailoring services for clients.

There’s also a change in scale that I am excited about. And Brandwatch shares much DNA with NixonMcInnes – both businesses are pioneers in social, both are on the WorldBlu list of most democratic companies worldwide, both are headquartered in the world class digital community in Brighton, UK. We go back.

On a personal note, as you might expect, my wife and kids are up for it too (well, the youngest is a bit reluctant at the moment). As a family we’re at a nice, mobile, portable stage: no nappies, and at the same time no teenage relationships or big exams to worry about. As a unit, we’re excited about a new adventure. Plus, Christmas in NYC! :-)

So that’s our news.

And it’s a big change for NixonMcInnes but part of something massively exciting – the next chapter in an evolving story of a company discovering itself and its purpose in the world. While my journey is taking me elsewhere, with Tom’s return and the rest of the team – most of whom have been with the company for years and are real homegrown talent – stepping up to lead it into its new future, I feel excited for them and what lies ahead.

Onwards!

A word from Tom:
I’m incredibly excited for Will as he sets off on his new adventure. We’ll miss him dearly and I’m so grateful for everything he’s created as a business partner, MD and friend. I couldn’t have created NixonMcInnes without him, and he’s left me and the team with a wonderful platform from which we’re planning an exciting new chapter of the company. He leaves on great terms with me and the team and I’m sure we’ll work together again one day. Good luck, Will!

This post was filed under Working culture Comments are currently closed.

1. Ross

Fucking hell. This is all amazing. Good luck everyone.

Posted 1st October 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink
  2. Fantastic news. Best of luck, to both of you.

Posted 1st October 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink
  3. This is massive, congratulations too all of you. Big old change for you too Mr St John – really exciting!

Posted 1st October 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
  4. Wow, wow, wow. Incredible news. Not sure there are many bigger advocates of Brandwatch than you Will – I remember the days back in 2007/8!

Very best wishes mate, what an adventure.

Paul

Posted 1st October 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
  5. Wow – amazing news guys!

Congrats to Will, Tom, Max and the rest of the team!

Posted 1st October 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
  6. Michelle Goodall

Brilliant news. Congratulations to all at NM Towers – looking forward to seeing the next evolution…..

You lot are bit like Dr Who, innit!?

Posted 1st October 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink
  7. Wow!! Massive news!! Congratulations to all of you and best of luck on the next part of the adventure!

Posted 1st October 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink
  8. Libby Davy

NYC will love the will of Will, and visa versa. The world needs you all to be happy, and who you truly you. And we get to keep Tom! Sweet. Go forth and do good shizza. Happy landings and settlings. Much metta x

Posted 1st October 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink
  9. Best of luck in NYC Will. I’m sure it will be a great adventure for you.

Posted 1st October 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  10. Mart Gordon

This is very exciting news. Good luck Will, enjoy your adventures in New York.

Posted 1st October 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink
  11. WoW!! Congratulations for NM. You are a great team, and of course, it’s gonna be a great adventure in NY, Will. Congrats to Tom, Max and Jenny and the whole team :) Best wishes from Chile.

Posted 1st October 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
  12. Traci Fenton

Wow Team NixonMcInnes, HUGE News!!

I love how elegantly this has unfolded for you all! Will, it will be SO RAD to have you NYC! I will be there in April after speaking at Yale. Let’s meet up man! :)

Great to hear you are back full-time Tom and way to go Max as MD!

All of this is truly possible because you all are a GRAND, democratic company.

Congrats all around! :) xx

Posted 1st October 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
  13. MonkeyLiz

Wow! Big and great news! Congrats Will and Bon voyage- well jel of your NYC adventure. Welcome back Tom! X

Posted 1st October 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink
  14. Lou Greeves

A-MA-ZING!!!! Feeling dead proud of all of you – and especially pleased for you and Max.

Great big fat congratulations to you all! x

Posted 1st October 2013 at 9:48 pm | Permalink
  15. Phil Herborn

Exciting news on all fronts! All the best for the new adventures :)

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink
  16. Owen Lee

I’ve enjoyed observing NM develop and flourish since its beginning – having had the pleasure of knowing Will since Uni days in L’pool. I loved reading Culture Shock recently, with all its great ideas and values.

I wish all the very best to the NM team, Tom, Will and his family in these exciting times! Keep up the good work.

I look forward to seeing you over here in the US sometime soon Will !

Owen

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 2:54 am | Permalink
  17. Blimey! That’s really exciting! Well done everyone. You must be so excited Will, I remember you talking about how great it would be to live somewhere like New York, so I’m really happy for you. Also happy for Brandwatch as I’m sure you’ll be bringing some great NM culture with you :)

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
  18. Crumbs, what a shocker! Looking forward to having you on this side of the pond! Nothing can disrupt your entire life quite like moving a young family to another country, lemme know if I can be any help with that. Srsly.

And congrats Maxi, good to see a proper MD at the helm, ’bout time[*].

Stevie.

[*] j/k, Will. Love you! :)

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink
  19. Wow! Exciting stuff. Best of luck Will. I love the way you guys constantly evolve and maintain such a open view of what it means to be in business. It’s dare I say it…inspirational! There I said it :)

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink
  20. Big news all round. Can’t wait to show you around, Will. Gonna be a huge adventure, my friend :-)

Posted 2nd October 2013 at 10:00 pm | Permalink
  21. Fantastic news on all fronts – I’ve watched you both build NM into a fabulous business and have enjoyed and been inspired by doing it your way ALL the way.
    Life really is a journey and you’re certainly living it and taking or making opportunities – I’m sure NYC and the Brandwatch challenge will be an absolute blast.

All the very best to you all for the next stage.

Posted 3rd October 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
  22. Wow – this is *some* news!

Congrats Will on the new role and the terrific opportunity (with an outstanding company), and great to see Tom back in the mix.

2 unique, and inspirational people I respect massively – good luck to both of you.

Best, Steve

Posted 3rd October 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
  23. Wow indeed! Coming late to this but massive news and massive congrats to you and the rest of the team!

Posted 6th October 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink
  24. Sam Michel

So cool, so exciting, so surprising and yet not, always massively impressed by you guys, the team and the culture you’ve created at NM.

The way you’ve handled all the changes is a testament to both you and Tom. Giles and the Brandwatch team are a lucky bunch.

Look forward to seeing you in the Big Apple when we’re over there. Congrats to all.

Posted 10th October 2013 at 7:09 am | Permalink
  25. All of these comments mean so much to me, and to the rest of the team. Thank you everybody :-)

Posted 10th October 2013 at 9:14 am | Permalink
  26. Tara Solesbury

Exciting news indeed, best of luck to you both…I remember when it was just the two of you in a small office – God I feel old!

Tara

Posted 11th October 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
  27. Congratulations on the new adventure Will and good to hear Tom got back safe and sound! Been impressed with Brandwatch data – been using it at work for some time now.

Posted 17th October 2013 at 12:54 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] Wired Sussex board member Will McInnes is taking on a new role with Brandwatch in New York. You can see details on the NixonMcInnes blog. [...]

2. By Will McInnes on 10th October 2013 at 11:49 am