Big news… It’s with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye (seriously) that I announce this will be my last week at NixonMcInnes :’(
My time here has been, without a doubt, one of the most important chapters of my life so far. It’s been a privilege to work with such an incredibly talented, generous, intelligent and lovely team. I feel sad that they’re all going to go on and have adventures together without me, but it’s time for me to go.
Cue obligatory, heartstring-tugging musical accompaniment…
^PRESS PLAY NOW^
So, next week, I’ll start preparing to pursue new adventures abroad, as I get ready to move my little family across the pond to the States. It’s hopefully the start of another incredible adventure, and a chance to fulfill a dream, but before I go, please indulge me and allow me to reflect on some of personal highlights from the last 5.5 years…
First off, there’s the people. Working here is fun, and meaningful, a worthwhile thing to invest your time in, and I have had the privilege of working with people whom I count as friends. You guys are awesome. Truly. *wipes tear*
Second, the journey, and a big part of that journey has been the scope for personal development, which has been simply mind-blowing, and is to NM’s credit. The original 2007 job ad for my role barely resembles the role I now leave behind, it’s evolved almost beyond recognition, and the ad serves as my reminder of how much ground I’ve covered, how much I’ve learned, and how much my colleagues have sharpened and inspired me. That this has happened is, I think, largely due to the culture and values at NM. This is a place to grow and flourish. For this, the only appropriate response I can muster is simply a humble thanks, thanks for believing in me, for giving me these opportunities, for letting me FAIL as well as WIN. *deep breath*
Third, the work. I’m so incredibly proud of the work I’ve produced at NM. Some personal favourites from the ‘back catalogue’ are…
- Exploring conversations around Channel 4 telly programmes with Datacopter.
- Building a social network for budding entrepreneurs, brought to you by Virgin Media.
- Crowd-sourcing the office stereo with @nmstereo.
- Visualising both happiness, and advocacy.
- Inferring (albeit incorrectly) referendum results from tweets.
- Investigating Darth Vader and Lady Gaga, and how their online audiences overlap, evoking a response from the mighty Sith Lord himself.
- Designing and delivering an innovation workshop for a major UK publisher.
- The semi-under-wraps pilot project I’m currently working on, in collaboration with BBC R&D, which hopefully one day we’ll be able to officially make a big song and dance about.
So there we go. 5.5 years. Like I said, it’s been incredible.
But that’s quite enough gushing for now, I think. All that’s left for me to say is… So long, and thanks for all the crisps,