Oooh the excitement is palpable

Subversion (or SVN to its friends) is the software that the developers here at NixonMcInnes use to track the source code that they write. Each time some code is written or changed, it is ‘committed’ to SVN for safe keeping. Well the big excitement here is that we’re fast approaching the 10,000th code commit to SVN. I’m sure you’ll join us in cherishing this important milestone. As Steve emailed to the team this morning:

Hi techies

As I’m sure you are all only too aware, our 10,000th SVN commit is now imminent! These are exciting times!

We are all no doubt waiting with baited breath to see who will commit the coveted 10,000th revision! Fortunately, my friends, we can all follow the event, as it unravels, right here: http://twitter.com/devden

A lot of hard work has gone into these 10000 commits, so, what say we have a couple of beers to celebrate this momentous occasion? It will have to be on the day of the 10,000th commit which, of course, could be any day now! It goes without saying; there will be a prize for the proud new owner of revision 10000 and, who knows, maybe even a small consolation prize for the hapless soul left clutching revision 9999.

Good luck everyone!

Steve

This post was filed under Social media, Training, Working culture and tagged , . Join the conversation - leave a comment.

1. As of 10 o’clock this morning, we are a mere 24 commits away from 10000 — I can barely contain myself! :)

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 10:01 am | Permalink
  2. Why’s the devden Twitter feed protected?

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 10:27 am | Permalink
  3. What, you’re using a single repository for all your projects?

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 11:56 am | Permalink
  4. @Hendrik, yea one SVN repository, each project is just a folder in SVN, with trunk/tags/branches under that.

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink
  5. What’s wrong with you?! :P

Have you had a look at git like all the other cool kids? It’s not as accessible as SVN (yet?), but actually works really well in a distributed environment. It abandons the 100% linear, revision based setup SCMs like SVN use and that will bit you in the behind at some point, making branching and merging a much more complex operation than they should be.

Only problem with it right now is that it doesn’t have a Windows client as great as TortoiseSVN, which may be a deal-break in an agency environment.

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 7:52 pm | Permalink
  6. Haha, yea, I’ve heard the git hype — I’m sure some of it’s justified, I’d like to take a look sometime. There are a few TortoiseSVN fans here (myself included) so could be a bit of a wrench to switch though!

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 9:05 pm | Permalink
  7. (BTW, Tom — devden feed is protected as we’re using http://www.grouptweet.com/ to broadcast messages across the dev team)

Posted 3rd June 2008 at 9:07 pm | Permalink
  8. Don’t worry, we’ll let everyone know on the regular twitter feed as well. I’m certain you’re all biting your nails with anticipation…

Posted 4th June 2008 at 9:22 am | Permalink
  9. Steve, don’t give in to the hype. git rocks, and personally, I couldn’t go back to SVN for my own projects, but SVN is still really good and definitely has its place. And yes, in some scenarios it will be the better choice, as it’s generally easier to grok.

If some of your developers are interested in learning/using git, it can be used together with an existing SVN repository, giving you most of git’s advantages while still retaining a central SVN-powered repository.

Posted 4th June 2008 at 2:46 pm | Permalink
  10. !!? You lot need to get out of that Dev Den a bit more!

;-)

Still, I probably contributed a fair few to that total. Do I get a slice of cake?

Posted 7th June 2008 at 1:21 pm | Permalink